Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Bubble

I've talked about this place in E-POD called "The Bubble".  It's the place I last saw "Your Highness", Michael Bouchard.  It's actually a control center where deputies watch the two E's.  It's like a clown car most of the time.  There is enough room in there for at least 11 deps.  In the days when I was really giving them hell, Alder would hold a afternoon meeting in there.  He wanted to know where everybody stood, I guess.  They would walk in and immediately take a seat, and could slip past you and you wouldn't know there were so many piled up in there.  In the corner is a small space where the woman on the "good" side can communicate with the deps.  About three deps can fit in there.

Social Media
That's where the cameras and intercom controls are.  Therefore, that is where the Gatekeeper keeps in touch with what's going on in the POD.  They can watch you through out the day room and in your room, and that allows them to keep control of the area.  When they can't hear over the speakers in the walk, they will turn on the intercoms in the rooms where two inmates are talking.  Most of the women have no idea and I have sat and watched them laughing at prisoners conversations.

We interact with them from the bubble, too.  If we have a visit or needed reprimanded they could do it from the bubble.  If we got too loud in the heat of an argument, they would come on the intercom and tell us that we were, "Setting there sensor off" and then tell us to quiet down.  When we still didn't quiet down, they could take our walk by just standing in the bubble.  From the bubble they could do everything, see everything and run everything and that's what they usually did.  Usually, they spent their shift doing their Facebook and looking at movies.

When I took a shower that is where they watched me.  I would come downstairs when they opened the door and let me out, and I'd look in the bubble.  I wanted to see who was in there, before I got in the shower.  Mostly, Beane would wait until his female partner was gone, before he let me out.  There were some, like Ms. Tappan and Ms. Biase who stayed and watched.  There were cameras in the BTU or bam-bam rooms that could look into the shower or that's what we thought.  There was a deputy who told me that he couldn't see nothing but my head, feet and that was important in case I was bleeding to death in there.  I asked, "Then why when it's my time to shower the bubble fills up with deputies?"

Let's eat!
The bubble is also the lunch room.  I have seen several banquets in there.  The biggest party is always a pizza party.  Claus and Bowerman were the kings of that.  There is a door on the South end of the building where they could have the pizza delivered.  They would sit in front of us and pull the slices from the box and the cheese would have melted and strings would come from the box.  Then one at a time, deputies would come into the bubble and get a slice.

One day, they had an ice cream social.  Bowerman, Karr, Lesseski, Bassenelli, Claus and others ordered Blizzards from Dairy Queen.  Bowerman had my favorite, German chocolate.  They walked the bubble as well as the entire Annex eating them.  It's a privilege of being young, White and part of the elite Oakland County staff.  The rules don't apply to you and who knows?  Maybe you could get some head if you let an inmate finish your ice cream.

I'm not going to mention the duffle bags.  These bags and back packs are filled with goodies.  Once, Thick pulled out some Hungry Howie's cheese sticks in front of Felecia.  I swear, I don't know how that girl didn't gain 50 pounds in there.  He slowly peeled them apart and put them in his mouth while she cleaned the day room.  Sgt. Johnson came into the bubble and he closed the box and put it back in his bag.  Not to mention the Flam'in Hot Cheetos bags that Lisa tried to convince me they sold on store.  Only these were the 3/$1 size you get at the party store.  Women would have Classic Coke, not to be mixed up with cocaine that they had, too.  That's another blog.  Orange pop, turkey sandwiches and I told you about the cheese sticks.

What do they do?  
Although there can be tons of deputies in the bubble at one time, there is only supposed to be three.  The best job in the jail is the person who watches the door.  That person sits in a seat for eight (8) hours and watch the door and when someone needs to get through the door press a button.  This person will not get you soap, they will not check your money account or answer any questions.  They will always reply, "I'm watching the door."  Some of them will even get an attitude, because they say if they aren't there to open the door they will get in trouble.

It's the job that most people would die for.  It is the most important job and it's in the bubble.  I think that's why everybody likes it in there.  You can see the job you strive to someday obtain.  I guess if there was a riot or something it would be important to man that door.  For now, it's the laziest job in the Annex.  Mostly the people who do it use it as excuse to be just that; lazy.  They also sit there and eat and listen and shoot the breeze.  Payne would sit there and listen to me all day.  I guess it has it's rewards. *shrug*



No comments:

Post a Comment