Monday, May 20, 2013

I Have a What????

I really hate to talk about my personal hygiene, but I've never had a yeast infection.  I've never had anything down there.  I'm not trying to get a date or a husband, but that's just a fact.  I'm very conservative with my body and it helps with those types of things.  So, when the women at the jail started telling me that I would get a yeast infection from the kool-aid, I was sure they weren't serious and kept drinking it with all the meals.  That included breakfast that usually consists of orange juice.  Wouldn't you know it, I started itching "down there".

In July, I went to reside at the Forensic Center and discovered I had a yeast infection. I told you that both the jail and the Forensic Center had close ties.  The doctor tried to be discreet with all her little "test".  I got a full pelvic exam, with swabs and everything.  About three days later the doctor came to me and told me I had a yeast infection.  Again, my eyes got big as saucers and I said, "What, I've never had a yeast infection before in my life!"  She explained that people get them all the time for various reasons and there was nothing for me to worry about.

Well, that was easy for her to say.  She wasn't me.  She went on to say it wasn't serious, because I didn't have an odor or any real signs of the infection.  If she hadn't told me then I would have never known.  It was the swab, because she saw no real heavy discharge or strong odor that caused her any alarm.  She gave me a one time pill and I took it.  Instead of feeling any relief, I was devastated.  I told the women I was there with and they thought I was really over-reacting.  They had all had them before and Brenna explained they didn't come from sex or nothing.  It's something that happens to all women and to just forget about.

First, I was always amazed at the way the women just dismissed the affects of our captors.   Now, these people were feeding me kool-aid that was really jello.  This jello contained starch that was giving women yeast infections and nobody even seemed to care.  The other women who were Strawberries and running the streets turning tricks, said something, they ignored them.  They blamed their yeast on their promiscuity.  What were they going to blame mine on?  I had only one reason for my infection; that watered down "juice".

Second, it felt like I had caught some kind of infectious disease.  How could she just say, "Don't worry about it."  That kind of stuff has a tendency to reoccur once they have had a space in your body.  Up until that point, I had managed to escape that folly.  Oakland County Jail had infected me with something.  I was so mad that I could spit.  Needless to say, it didn't just go away.  Unlike when I was in jail, I started having symptoms, after I had taken the pill and left the Forensic Center.  I was told that the pill could have killed the yeast, but that my PH had made it hard for me to get rid of it completely.  My PH levels?  What?  Then one pharmacist said it could have just come back!

OMG...What is this?  Now, I have something that will come back whenever it wants to.  Oh, hell nah!  Then just before my period I would itch, and so I kept Monistat in my bathroom just in case.  Two years later, the symptoms have truly went away.  I am so upset, because of the nonchalant way people talk about it.  I often think about how sometimes the "kool-aid" came to us and it was still hot, because you have to melt the jello with hot water, before adding more water to cool it down.  Some days, the women would drink it all up and an empty brown cooler would sit in the hall.  All yeast victims.  They've changed the drink these days.  They give packets.

In the morning, they give their watered down "milk" that they used to call protein shake.  It's all nasty, however, but doesn't cause yeast infections.  Thank you Jesus, but sometimes after I drank the packets I would feel a little itch.


No comments:

Post a Comment