Tuesday, May 28, 2013

FC Staff: Charlie

Charlie was the first staff member I met in South 4; the women's unit at the Forensic Center.  The ONLY women's unit at the Forensic Center.  That will come to be very important in blogs to come.  Charlie is the morning Supervisor.  He greeted me almost immediately.  He told me what was going on, sat me in a room with me and did all my paperwork.  He got me something to eat.  He got me a set of fresh clothes and told Carla to put me in the shower for my initial "cleaning".  Now, you can only guess that he had the most to hide in this whole little visit I had to South 4.  The Oakland County Jail had told him that I was coming.  As I said, my letter writing abilities were already infamous amongst this crowd.

Charlie had gotten a patient pregnant, before I had gotten there.  Joyce was accused of trying to kill her grandchild at a Burger King.  She spoke to her daughter and her grandson almost everyday.  I wrote her letter to get out of the Forensic Center and know far more than I will tell, but she did have a mental break.  She is the person that Sarah mocked when she told me that she thought somebody had put something in a cigarette she smoked.  I think Sarah thought that I would believe that lie.  Since this woman and I were so close.

This woman's name was Joyce and we weren't really close.  Joyce really didn't even like me.  She took Depakote that helped mask many of her feelings, because it is a mood stabilizer and "dumbs you down".  Charlie had told Joyce to befriend me, like "keeping your enemies closer".  I think he thought that would help him know what I was thinking.  She is 5"10' and weighted 130.  She was thin and stealth with long legs and small breast.  It took a matter of a month for her to begin to show.  As soon as I got my tray at dinner and looked around the dining room for a seat, it was Joyce who waved her hand at the seat kitty-corner to hers and said, "Have a seat".  That's where I sat for the entire time I was at The Center.  Even when it got tough between us that's where I sat.

She would go out to walk everyday and Charlie would join her.  They would stand and talk and she would smile too hard and he would smile far too hard to be a staff member.  As her stomach grew bigger, she walked with a purpose.  She said that she was getting fat and needed to walk off a little of the weight.  The only thing that was getting big on her was her breast and stomach.  Her hips had spread; of course.  Her entire face was glowing and had turned a two shades lighter and she had began to glow.  I complimented her on her pretty face and she just took a bite of food and said, "Thank you".Her closet friend was Dorothy, who to this day claims not to know she was pregnant.  The rumor was that Charlie had killed a man in the past and had all the women scared of him.  I told you they were all insane.

I was at The Center from July, until October of 2011 the first time.  Joyce wore a light jacket the entire time I was there and rarely took it off.  In September during the Indian Summer, she took it off one day and she had a bump the size of a volley ball in her stomach.  She never took her jacket off during Charlie's shift.  I could see her walking the yard sweating bullets.  When I got into a fight with this woman, I had told her that Joyce was pregnant with Charlie's baby and that I was banned from taking about it.  To get me in trouble she blurted it out.  When she did, Joyce looked around the room and said, "No I'm not, I'm just gaining a lot of weight from the medication."  Some women looked at the floor, some nodded and turned back to the TV and most of them act like the exchange never happened.

I had told Joyce that I couldn't wait until our staff/patient picnic.  I overheard Joyce walking and telling Charlie what I said.  I was always complaining that I wasn't getting enough food.  I told her I was going to "throw down".  Charlie went back to the staff and told them what I had said, and they piled food on my plate like I was an Ethiopian Refugee.  They kept walking over to me asking if I had enough to eat.  My stomach was smaller and I was stuffed.  Charlie sat in a corner and acted as if he had got me back for writing to Karen Currington, telling her that Joyce was pregnant.  He just has pissed me off.

So, I started writing even more.  I didn't really blame Joyce for telling him, what was she supposed to do.  She had it good.  She was buying whatever she wanted when we went to vending.  She had countless $100 phone cards and she ordered what she wanted from the catalogs.  He was a killer and she was probably scared of him.  Plus, I think she liked him, a lot.  When I began writing even more on him, I once again overheard her tell him, "We did rub them off.  She can still type on it".  I thought the keyboard to the computer was looking different.  Joyce and a friend, who I hate to say was Dorothy, were rubbing the letters off the keypad to stop me from seeing what keys to punch.  I had learned to type on a keyboard that had no letters on it.  Patients at the Forensic Center, were mostly uneducated and Joyce and Charlie both didn't know that fact about typing classes 25 years ago.

After that, I wrote the Governor and told him about the Forensic Center and especially Charlie.  When I went back this last time a woman was pregnant; again.  That let me know that Joyce wasn't an isolated incident, but that the staff got the women pregnant often.  What's so bad, is that before Charlie started having sex with Joyce, he was having sex with his subordinate Carla.  The same woman that he had taking care of me when I arrived.  Safe to say, Charlie hated me and I hated Charlie.  There was a big thing about Joyce, but she would never tell who her child's father was, but I knew.  It was Charlie and it seemed that he has gotten away with "Statutory Rape".

No comments:

Post a Comment