Wednesday, January 17, 2018

State of the State...


Image result for state of michigan logo

When I first found out about the prostitution at OCJ, I didn't get it. There were hundreds of women who came through that jail, in a month. With all those women who had come in and out of that jail, somebody had to tell. If there was just one, then someone would know and do something about it. It never happened, however, partly, because the FBI is involved. I remember telling Martha Anderson that I had been to the FBI to tell them about being harassed by the Pontiac Police. She asked me to go home and find out who that agent was, because I couldn't remember his name and he didn't give me a card. I called, but they refused to give me his name. I don't know why, but it was clear they didn't want to be involved.

I went to see them again, in March of last year. I was told that I need more evidence, and more than just my word. Maybe, other women that have been prostituted who would corroborate my story and help bust up the racket. I have none. The women in jail were unable to help me at all. While in jail the spring of 2011, I passed a note to "Big Titty Shelly". I asked that she gather some girls and write letters about being sexually abused in OCJ. While in a drug induced fit, she had robbed a gas station at gun point. She ended up with six months in jail and the head Trustee of Maximum. This is before she refused to clean the urine from under my door that Angel F. had thrown there. She seemed to be very decent, but after I passed my note, the women told me about her crime.

A gun charge gets you two years, flat. No matter what happened that you could weasel out of, if you're caught with a gun, you go down for two years. Caught with a gun while in the commission of a felony, and that's five years. Armed Robbery, even as a first offense carries prison time. Shelly had gotten six months and a hefty position as a Trustee. They are the prettiest and sluttiest women in the jail. They were also well behaved and "got along", not only with each other, but were kind to the deputies, even if their "boyfriend" took care of them.

Trustees are the deputies girlfriends, or highly lucrative prostitutes that make them the most money. I was courted for one of those positions, and if I was guilty and had actually committed a crime, I would have taken him up on it, because it's a better life. Unlike the other women that had to have sex with various men, you only had to have sex with one or two (I would have had trouble with two). And they were usually deputies and not some chaplain or cleaning guy. He was clean, decent and cared for you nicely. If he was a Sergeant or Lieutenant or something like that, you didn't even have to listen to the deputies. Their doors were open all day, some greedy deputy, who loved women would bring them ice, because that always made them happy and cooperative.

So, the note fell on deaf ears for two reasons. First, Shelly was happy in her jailhouse bliss. Second, Shelly had a son, and she wanted to keep him safe with her mother. Since my several trips back to jail, I've heard horror stories about inmates and their kids. One woman told me, how the police entered her house illegally and reported to DHS that her house was nasty, opened to trespass and that she didn't have any food in her refrigerator. She swore that he house was clean, that she had food in her refrigerator and he has entered a back door that was unlocked and not opened. He did not come through a open front door like he claimed. She had complaints about her children in the past and with this complaint, she might lose her kids. She was also five months pregnant.

She was now in OCJ fighting an old case, she claimed had been resolved and having to be a part from her children. DHS had told her that she had to get all of her cases straightened out, because it would help her keep her kids. She cried, and said that cop had lied and that she had no business there. I asked, and she had been in jail, before. Shelly, after reading the note I had written, had told the woman next to me about her son. She spoke loud enough for me to hear. Her son was seven and had been living with her mother since she had become an addict. He was sending her letters and pictures and he was safe. She couldn't stand it, if what she did took him from his home.

At the time, I didn't get it. Not even when that tired and sick mother of two and a third explained it to me. Sometimes, for me, certain organizations involvement in prostitution is hard to accept. I was more than willing to believe the FBI was involve. Because the police, some of them, are crooked at all levels. Michigan Department of Health and Human Services was solid in my view. It is their job to protect children and not use them for barter to keep an inmate quiet in a sex ring. I mean, those young women don't mind it. Free food, sex and playtime, all the time, without people telling them what to do. It's all good in jail. As long as they keep their looks, youth and vigor going to jail isn't an issue. Plus, the women who were just whores anyway, it's a way to trick and get fat. But for women like Shelly, women who might tell, there is DHS.

Image result for children in jail

Many of these children can take the right road, if left in the hands of good people. Many of these women have children while out on the streets and their parents take them in. They know that their parents were doing the best for them all their life, and that they just messed up. In prison, some women are there, because their mothers' were criminals. Then there are some women who have children graduating from high school and going to college, getting jobs and sending their mothers money, Master's Degrees, doctors and social workers. It's not the norm, but it happens. Who wouldn't want to give their child the opportunity to step outside the norm. Going into the system could blow any chance they have for a good life. Foster care is risky with sexual connotations of its own. Children involved with the system usually stay involved, they are homeless, addicted and in jail or prison.

I remember talking to a life-long friend about her quadriplegic sister. The State was taking care of her through medicaid and home-care. She said they had begun taking her to court for the care of her sister. She said they kept making claims that she was unfit to care for her sister and harassing her all the time. Finally, they won custody of her sister, and she was dead in six months. There was no more funds from the State needed in her care. I'm not going to begin to tell you about prison, and how they aren't properly fed and cared for. The officers make so much money that they can't afford to feed them a well-balanced meal. The sick and dying are cared for by other inmates and the only thing that is truly treated is cancer. We all know that's a cash-cow for hospitals and doctors, and they probably get a cut.

When I was in prison there was a woman named Ms. Delong. I used to read her letters to her, from her son, because she couldn't read. We moved from Scott to Huron Valley and Ms. Delong came with us. She was about 55 years old and had a colostomy bag. She couldn't go to the bathroom the normal way, and had this bag attached to her stomach. She had been fighting with the prison to get new bags everyday. They were telling her to clean the bags and reuse them. Well, she did and set up an infection and had to go to the hospital. When she came back, she had a bonafide order from the hospital that she had to have a clean bag on a regular bases. As usual, the State refused the doctor's orders and continued to make her clean out her bags and use them. Of course, the infection came back and Ms. Delong was in a lot of pain.

She had committed some hefty crimes. Attempted Arson and some kind of robbery charge. I don't really remember, but she had at least 10 more years to do. The State did not want to be responsible for buying those bags. One day, she was in so much pain, she wanted to go to the clinic. She couldn't walk, and someone had to push her up there in a wheelchair. For some reason, the officer asked me. Reluctantly, I don't like hard labor, I agreed. Pushing her up there she seemed fine, but she was in pain. I left her there and rolled the wheelchair back down the hill. I was in our unit for about two hours, before the officer told me that she had died. Two old timers just looked at each other knowingly, I stood there in shock! She didn't seem THAT sick.

So, when you think about children being ripped from their homes, to quiet inmates about prostitution it's not surprising to me. At least it's not surprising, anymore. The idea that they serve inmates bologna and cabbage soup tells you that they don't care. The fact that I have written every State Representative, Senator and Governor of Michigan to no avail, makes sense. No one really cares, and these women know that their children could be moved around from pedophile to pedophile, being used and abused for their own satisfaction. Those in the system that abuse are crafty and know that as long as they present a clean home, make dental and doctor's appointment with regular attendance at school, they can abuse a child for years.

How could a woman have faith in a system that allows them to be raped and used? They don't, and although they can't do anything productive for their children, they do what they can. It's not all the women. Like I said there are some, but one is too many. The State has no business being involved in such vile and degrading criminal activity. But who really cares about a quadrepligic, a prisoner or a criminal with a drug problem? 



Image result for Gandhi
Ghandi

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." 
~ Mahatma Ghandi





No comments:

Post a Comment